Sun Salutation Benefits
As the name suggests this sequence is best done at sunrise. These postures could be done fast or slow  depending on the need of the body and the practitioner. If Sun Salutation is done fast then the yoga pose provides a great cardiovascular exercise. If done slow with proper breathing, Sun Salutation helps tone the muscles giving a wonderful stretch to the entire body. Let us go in detail with the various benefits of this sequence.
Physical Benefits (Anatomical)
- Strengthens Muscles : All the postures are arranged in such a way that the various muscles of the body are expanded and contracted thus strengthening them with practice. Upper body muscles: arms, neck and shoulders and Lower body muscles: lower back, abdomen, thighs, hamstring and calves are all strengthened.
- Helps women with weight loss : Especially for women, helps burn excess fat around the neck, chin, arms, shoulders, hips, abdomen, thighs, buttocks and the chest.
- Removes toxins: Improves the quality and circulation of blood in the body thus helping with detoxification.
- Tones muscles: A great way to tone the body and improve the posture if one is having a hunched back.
- Lengthens spine: Improves and lengthens the spine thus giving a gain in height if the postures are performed correctly.
- Increases Immunity: Improves the immune system (due to unique combination of blood circulation and rhythmic breathing) in the body and brings about a change in the health conditions like simple body aches, irritability, headaches, stiffness and digestion problems.
- Brings feel good emotions: Changes physical appearance of the body bringing a toned look and a glowing face with less wrinkles around the eyes and on the forehead.
- Increases endurance : Builds overall flexibility with endurance with repeated practice.
- Prepares body for tougher yoga poses: Acts as a great stretch for the entire body and the warming up of muscles helps in practicing the tougher asanas. It is good to start the yoga session with the practice of Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar).
- Activates Digestive System: As Sun Salutation strengthens the abdominal muscles, the abdominal organs are toned. As a result, digestion improves and one can get rid of constipation and dyspepsia with regular practice.
- Improves Pulmonary function : The chest and lungs are expanded thus bringing in oxygen due to deep inhalation.
- Improves functioning of vital glands: Since the poses give room for flexion and extensions, all the vital glands in the body begin to improve like the Thyroid, Pituitary, Sweat glands, Esophageal, Mammary, Prostate, and Uterine.
- Improves menstruation: Works on the reproductive organs and brings in a smooth and balanced menstrual cycle.
- Stimulates Cardiovascular System : The inversion and fast Sun Salutation are good for the heart and stimulate the cardiovascular system.
Controls Diabetes, improves any irregularity of the reproductive organs in women, helps with Insomnia, and controls Anxiety spells.
Surya Namaskar is much more than just an exercise, and its practice comes with great results. It is also an important tool that empowers human beings to break free from the compulsive cycles and patterns of their lives.